Saturday, September 10, 2011

Assignment #1, The Things They Carried (1-26)

1.      The Vietnam war struck people with a harsh reality. Other than being at the risk of dying and being far from home and loved ones, men in battle had to travel daily holding everything on their back. The things they carried were a compilation of things required, and things they chose to keep them sane. They had to only choose necessities, or whatever they could handle. Most men carried things like pictures, cigarettes, C rations, water, pocket knifes, etc. If I was in their  position, I would bring a journal that inside already had notes from my family written in it, and the rest blank paper.
          The reason why I would bring this half-filled journal, would be because I would go insane without getting my feelings out somewhere. I would write every day that I could about how I felt, what I saw, the friends I made during the war, or just anything that was on my mind. Not only would this help me cope while I'm at war, I could look back on it at a later date if I got home safely to remind myself of the good things I experienced. It's something that makes sense to have around to me. Also, it hardly weighs anything.
          The importance of this item isn't literally the item, it's what would be inside. I'm an extremely family oriented person, so being able to read what they wrote, see their handwriting, and hear their voice through the words they had written would mean the world to me. I think the hardest part about fighting in a war for me would be being away from everybody that I love, so holding something they have written would help me feel a little less homesick, and safer in a way.

2.        The soldiers of the Vietnam War had to worry about the wieght that they carried. The more they had on their backs, the harder it was to travel. Although there was a limit on what tangible items they could carry, there was no limit on how many intangible items they could carry. These intangible items were just as good, if not better, than the tangible ones. The intangable item I would carry would be a memory. Christmas day of 2010. Every holiday is always good and cheerful, but this Christmas day was the most special of them all.
          Not seeing your family is always hard, but Christmas brings everybody together. I woke up with my brothers all home, and spent the whole day just lazing around with the people that matter most to me. Nothing beats the smell of the huge breakfast my dad cooked, or the feel of the warm fire on my back as I sat on the rough, stone fireplace. I can imagine sitting in the mud, cold, wet, and hungry, making myself feel better by thinking back on that day. I could laugh about all the funny home-videos we watched and all the jokes we made towards eachother. Everybody was in a good mood, and nobody fought. The day was too perfect for pointless arguments about who didn't refill the toliet paper roll, and thinking of that day makes me smile instantly. No matter how I feel, it warms me up. It makes me feel as though my family is right next to me, even though i'm miles and miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment